Wednesday, June 18, 2014

What's in a name?

Someone happened to ask me why I chose to title my blog as "Starry Nights". So I felt I should share my thoughts that I had when I created my blog way back in 2010. I have mentioned in many of my posts that I am a nature-lover. The different sights of nature has always left me wondering how insignificant we are in the true realm of the universe which is so vast and intriguing. 

I remember a few occasions of my childhood that I spent in the hot and humid Pondicherry. I have a lot of lovely memories attached to that place. One such memory that is fondly etched in my mind is the time we used to spend in the terrace of our home gazing the night sky. We would spread the durrie and lie down sky gazing. Sometimes Dad would try hard to show me the falling asteroids but I would never sight them. So, right from my childhood I had a fascination for the Starry Nights. Hence, the title!

I was also asked why I had chosen twinklingeyes for blogspot.in link. Well, some of them found it to be soppy and mushy. The truth being, I just wanted my name to feature in the URL of my blog link and when I tried putting my name in different combinations, most of it was already taken - thanks to the common English word "twinkle". By choosing twinklingeyes, I just meant a perspective about life through my eyes. Surprisingly, a friend mentioned that I had her clean-bowled with the choice of twinklingeyes for my blogspot, i.e, to quote her exact words. Now, I feel I should have gone for a more serious, pedantic name! ;)

The Starry Night - Vincent van Gogh (Courtesy - Wikipedia)

I also happened to find this very famous painting by Vincent van Gogh titled  The Starry Night. Indian author and columnist Shobhaa De has written a novel titled Starry Nights. I got to know about the novel when I googled Starry Nights. I was unaware of this when I started my blog. Hope no one sues me! Strictly coincidental!

P.S: The title for this blog post owes its credit to the one and only William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Nostalgia!

Whenever I get back to this happy place of mine, I feel so elated. Typing away what comes to mind without any reservations as to who is goi...